Monday, August 25, 2014

Assad: Support Me or the Terrorists I Fostered

While it's impossible to tell if Assad started this war knowing that he would breed a whole new generation of terrorists, but he's certainly capitalizing on the development.  Shortly after the war began, he instructed his army to focus its weapons on the Free Syrian Army.  First, he knew that fighting two enemies was much more difficult than fighting one.  Second, he realized early on that he could instead make the FSA fight two enemies.  From this war, ISIS was born...or at least metastasized.  

Now, Assad is positioning himself as a friend to the UN and a partner in the "War on Terror".  I blogged one year ago (8/15/13) that Assad might have a point when stating he was fighting terrorists.   

I guess I was wrong.  He made a point of not fighting them and now we have to...again.

No comments:

Post a Comment